Tamanu & Shea Body Lotion
Our Tamanu & Shea Butter Body Lotion is a fantastic new lotion recipe featuring popular ingredients like Almond Oil, Shea Butter Refined, and our brand-new Tamanu Oil. Our Tamanu Oil hails from Madagascar and has been one of our most requested oils due to its reputed skin benefiting properties. Tamanu Oil is said to be nourishing, revitalizing and restorative for the skin, helping to encourage skin cell regeneration while also being said to help in treating a variety of skin conditions including eczema and psoriasis. The perfect lotion to make for Fall and Winter!
- Whisk or Stick Blender
- Mixing Bowl
- Paper Towel or Wash Cloth
- Plastic Mixing Cup
1. Measure out the Polawax and Stearic Acid into a Microwave Safe Bowl
2. Slowly pour the Boiling Water into the bowl while gently stirring until all of the emulsifiers (Polawax and Stearic Acid) have melted and no little flakes remain. For the emulsifiers to fully melt, the water must be quite hot, so additional heating in a microwave may be required.
3. Measure out and pour your Part B ingredients into Part A, continuing to stir occasionally to ensure even cooling and emulsion.
4. Once the recipe has reached a temperature of just below 45°C, add all of the Part C ingredients to the recipe. Continue gently stirring to ensure an even distribution of the ingredients.
5. At this point you can add any Essential Oil or Fragrance Oil to your desired scent level, usually up to 1% for skincare products if desired. Be sure to mix your Fragrance or Essential Oil with Polysorbate 20 first, at a ratio of 2:1 Polysorbate to your scent. This will help to ensure your scent does not separate from the lotion.
6. Continue to stir occasionally while the emulsifier sets up. Your lotion will begin to thicken over the next 10 - 20 minutes.
7. Once the lotion is at a thick enough consistency, you can fill your containers. A piping bag is a great option when filling bottles and jars to help minimize spills.
8. Your product can now be set aside to cool. It will not reach its final thickness until fully cooled, so it is recommended to let it sit for a few hours or overnight.