TC-Carbomer FD21 Gelling Agent
TC-Carbomer FD21 is a hydrophobically modified crosslinked polyacrylate polymer which acts as highly-efficient thickener and suspending agent in personal care products. It is self-wetting, requires no use of a blender to incorporate, and disperses easily within minutes.
Common usage is .5% to 2% but can be used to a maximum of 6% and still remain pumpable
Requires neutralization with a Sodium Hydroxide 15% solution or with Triethanolamine to create a gel consistency.
● Shampoos ● Bath gels ● Lotions
● Body washes ● Gels ● Creams
• Rapid self-wetting polymer, that requires no dispersion agitation
• Stabilizes surfactant-containing formulations
• Stabilizes electrolyte-containing formulations
• Stabilizes and suspends insoluble ingredients
• Creates moderate-to-high viscosity products
• Exhibits good clarity for gel formulations
• Efficient, cost effective and easy-to-use
INCI: Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer
• Sprinkle polymer on surface of water and allow to self-wet (vigorous agitation produces foam)
• Gently begin agitation
• TC-Carbomer FD21 polymer can be pre- or post-neutralized (depending on application)
• Keep agitation to a minimum (to avoid air entrapment) while adding remaining ingredients to formulation
• Add typical preservatives
Special Processing Note: Some producers choose to make a stock dispersion of TC-Carbomer FD20 polymer in water and then add this dispersion to their formulation mix tank.
Order of Addition
To ensure maximum benefit and efficiency from the polymer, we recommend the following order of addition as a general guideline:
1. Add TC-Carbomer FD21 polymer to deionized water.
2. Add primary surfactants with gentle mixing.
3. Neutralize to pH 4.5 -5.0.*
4. Add specialty surfactants (amphoterics, etc.).
5. Add UV absorber, EDTA, silicone, cationics, salts, etc.
6. Add pearlizing ingredients such as mica, EGDS or EGMS.
7. Add fragrance, dye and preservative.
8. Adjust final pH (if necessary).
*For surfactant applications that do not require clarity, partial neutralization is not required, and step 3 may be omitted.
California Prop Statement:
This product is not on the CA Prop 65 List of Toxic Chemicals.
The following statement is made in order to comply with the reporting requirements of the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. This product is not known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. We are conforming to the regulation by reporting the existence, or lack thereof, of ingredients deemed reportable by the above-mentioned regulation via a Safety Data Sheet (SDS), in Section 15 "Regulatory Information." Additionally, ingredients from Natural Food Sources (NFS) are exempt from reporting in accordance with Title 27, § 25501(a).